Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Garden of Wonderland


CATEGORY : Fantasy/Surreal

Perhaps it was the garden of wonderland where I stepped in
No... there were no lawns, no precious statues on the terrace
But the glory of the garden lied in more than what met the eye...

A mammoth guitar was lying there with some broken strings,
And some unwanted weeds grew over it to hide it from me
Me stooping to unveil it, touched those weeds and heard,
“Touch me not unless you earn the treasure hidden here”
Staring at those I asked, “What treasure are you talking about ?”
Again silence, no reply I got…

Apples, both red and green all filled that garden’s space
Fiddling with those I thought, there must be some secret vault
Among them a red one asked, “Want to taste our sweetest flesh ?”
After several hesitating moves, I bit off more than its half
The rest half I couldn’t chew, since it fell down…phew !!
Strangely after weeping for long that half-apple told,
”Place me over the guitar, then you’ll get the gold”

Pausing for a while I hummed,
“How can I climb up over the mammoth’s top ?”
The weeds turned themselves into ladders to provide me the prop
Moving upstairs, I placed that half-apple over its roof
And a canvas appeared there with a beaming glow
And the chords amazingly started to play a sonata in harmonious flow

That heavenly ambience lasted for long and long
Suddenly a prophecy came along…
“What about the hidden treasure ? Got the gold here ?”
I replied, “If this melody would bring me gold, I’d follow it till I grow old
Like life’s free pleasures…more than gold’s treasures…
And of all the possessions that I would hold…
The least important would be the gold !!”


3 comments:

pm said...

Amazing thoughts!!
m stunned and so glad that i visited this!

Unknown said...

Really amazing imagination, that lead me to an world of absolute catharsis. The budding poets generally pay attention to realistic type of poetries, but your work in fantasy n surrealism reminds me of old-poets.Keep up good-work buddy!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.